Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It's a nice day....for a white wedding

I got married before I became a blogger.
So with the exception of a few anniversary posts, there really hasn't been much wedding talk around these parts.
It's a shame really.
I have watched many a blogger plan entire weddings and relived every moment of their big day from the centerpieces to the bridesmaid dresses.
Well now it's my turn to share with you the biggest New Year's Eve party where we said 'I do'!
Don't worry, I'm not going to take a year to recap it.
Instead I'm going to take a page from a few other bloggers and relive it from A to Z!

Attending
Right around 115.  Maybe 125?  Is it sad that 2 1/2 years later I don't even remember the number that was burned into my brain for so many months??
Bridesmaids
I had two Maids of Honor, my two best friends, and two bridesmaids, my best friend since 3rd grade (and future mother-in-law to my son, haha) and my sister-in-law.  I was so glad to have 4 of the most important women in my life standing by my side!

Cake
Our cake lady was maybe the sweetest woman ever.  Seriously, if you're getting married in Columbus look up Anita Klein!  She worked with me and my 19433908233 changes, including an entirely new design just weeks before the wedding.  My original thought was to do one of those Madhatter style, topsy turvy cakes, but at the last minute I changed my mind.  I wanted something more simple.  Classic.  Something that embraced our New Year's Eve Wedding.  So when I saw a picture of a cake that looked like it had champagne bubbles cascading down the side I had to have it.  Anita took the idea and made it a reality.  I LOVED it.  And not only did it look good, it tasted amazing. 


Dress
After spending an entire day with my mom, MIL and 2 MOH's dress shopping I thought I had found "the one."  It was NOTHING like I had pictured.  A bit form fitting.  Lace that flowed into a tulle skirt.  Champagne colored with a chocolate brown sash.  It was gorgeous and I looked damn good in it.  The next day my mom, dad and I went to take one more look at it.  While putting it on, someone let my dad loose in the bridal salon and he came back with a dress.  It wasn't one I had tried on.  It was completely different than the one I'd fallen in love with the day before.  It was stunning.  I tried it on and immediately knew this was the dress I'd be getting married in.  It was perfect.  Long train.  Sweetheart neckline.  The most fabulous silk taffeta I'd ever felt.  Just enough beading and bling, but not so much it was over the top.  It was me.

Engagement
Just 10 months after our first date my husband got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife.  The center stone in my ring is the same stone my dad proposed to my mom with that came from my Great Grandfather's Jewelry Store.  So it's pretty special.
I won't bore you with all the details.  You can check out the whole store here if you'd like.
Flowers
My bouquet was all red.  A mixture of roses and calla lilies.  The hubs, a red rose boutonniere.  The bridesmaids carried red and white roses, the groomsmen  had red and white bouts to match.

For centerpieces we had no flowers.  Instead we did tall vases filled with cranberries to hold branches that were dripping with crystals and candles.  I loved how simple and elegant they were.  Plus the height in the ballroom was fantastic!
Groomsmen
The hubs had four guys on his side.  His cousin, two friends and my brother.

Honeymoon
We took a quick mini-moon right after the wedding down at a cabin in Hocking Hills.  It was the perfect little getaway.  Then in March we took an 8 day cruise through Panama, Costa Rica and Belize.  It was amazing!  If you're ever bored, scroll through the March 2009 blog archives for some pretty funny recaps of our Caribbean adventure!

Invitations
I worked with a local shop to design all our paper needs.  Invites.  Programs.  Menus.  They turned out better than I could have imagined.  I remember stopping by her shop to pick up the proof and actually tearing up at the sight of them.  Unfortunately I don't have a good photo of them.  So this will have to do. 

Justice of the Peace
We got married by Fr. Jerry at Holy Cross Catholic Church in Columbus.  He was a funny guy who openly told us that he didn't have much to do, so he met with all his couples probably more than any priest in the archdiocese.  He was not kidding.  Most other Catholics I know met like one time, took the compatibility test and then didn't see them again until they were walking down the aisle.  Not us.  We faithfully met with him every Saturday morning for months.  Thankfully he was entertaining.  Sort of.

Keepsakes
We have our wedding album of course.  And for our guestbook I made a book of pictures of us on MyPublisher that our guests signed like a yearbook instead of the boring old traditional kind that you'll never look at again.  It turned out great and sits proudly on our coffee table. 

Ladies Night
 I actually had TWO.  A surprise girls weekend in Chicago with my mom, MIL and bridesmaids and then your typical night of Bachelorette debauchery in town with all my favorite ladies.  Both were an absolute blast!!

To be continued..... 

19 comments:

Unknown said...

great idea for a post! I love it!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this post! That pic with you and your girls is gorgeous. That is a great dress shopping story too. I can't wait to read the next post...

Anonymous said...

I've already told you how beautiful your photos are. But man, all the details were gorgeous too. Love that your dad found your dress! Too cute.

Molly B said...

LOVE this post- so cool....excited to see you on Saturday! Jamie too

Kristen said...

lovely! Sounds amazing and I am in love with your church and reception hall!!! BEautiful!

Emily said...

Your wedding looked so beautiful!

Jillian said...

I love that cake!! And I held red roses as well!!

Unknown said...

I love this idea! I am going to steal it! ;)

Melissa said...

Awww I love that your dad found your wedding dress for you! My mom was the one who picked out mine :)

Love that your diamond was one that other women in your family wore too. That's so awesome!

Katie said...

I freaking love this entire post!! Your wedding looks gorgeous & totally stunning which doesn't surprise me one bit since you, yourself, are both of these!

Can't wait to see the rest!!

Jimmie said...

I love this idea, and I'm totally stealing it. :)

Katie said...

I remember seeing these photos from The Knot....and I loved your wedding!

Jordan said...

I love your wedding pictures! You look so pretty and I love all the little details of your wedding! So elegant and pretty! Can't wait for part 2!

bananas. said...

whoever photographed your wedding did an AWESOME job!!!

dave and jenn said...

Love this recap and all the pictures!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

BEAUTIFUL photos! You look stunning and so happy in all of them! And that cake is so cool looking! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Moe said...

I LOVE this. :) Then again..I do have weddings on the brain right nwo. But still. I love love love this.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I love the look of your reception!!You looked amazing!

Unknown said...

brady jersey
timberland boots
curry 3 shoes
yeezys
longchamp bags
air max 2017
kyrie shoes
hogan outlet online
adidas stan smith shoes
chrome hearts
20170706