Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Life on Unemployment

I figured it was about time I update everyone on the job front.
Unfortunately there isn't much to say.
The job hunt has been slow.
I'm not sure if dental jobs are a "who you know" kind of thing or what.
But I've searched every job site known to man...including sketchier avenues like Craigs.list and reached out to every connection I have.
And there's just not much out there.
I've applied to a few jobs here and there as they come on my radar,
most of them not exactly what I'm looking for, but jobs nonetheless.
I had one interview that could have been promising,
but I haven't heard anything back.  I suspect they were looking for someone with a certification I don't have.
People keep saying I should call, but I kind of feel like "He's just not that into you."
If they were going to offer me the job.
They'd call.
No news is not good news in this instance.
In the meantime I've been keeping myself busy subbing.
I basically work for an agency who calls me when a dental office needs a Hygienist.
It keeps me busy about 3 {sometimes 4} days a week, but there's no guarantee of work and some weeks {especially with all this snow we've been getting} I might only get 1 day.
It's better than nothing, but it certainly don't pay the bills!
It also means I don't actually qualify for unemployment on the weeks I work.
Which is great.  I don't want to be a mooch.  But by the time I pay for gas to get there {most of these offices are 45 minutes ONE way!} and for daycare, I'd actually be making more just sitting at home. 
Albeit not much more, and the days out make me feel like a productive member of society, so it's worth it.  Plus I figure every office I go to is another connection made and potential for something permanent!  It's not ideal, but it will work for now.  It's hard living life day to day, going to bed most nights no clue what the next day brings, but I keep telling myself it's not forever.
It's not forever.  Right?? 
Jamie's daycare has been great through all this!  I guess when they've watched your child since he was 3 months old they figure they can throw you a bone!  We're able to use them on an as needed, pay as you go, drop off basis.  So those morning I get a 6:00 am phone call asking me to work, Jamie goes to daycare.  On the days I have nothing, he stays home.  We've had a lot of QT together and I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it.  More than I thought I would.  He has too.  I think we've spent more time together in the past 2 months than in his entire first 2 years of life.  It's definitely been an adjustment for both of us!  Poor guy doesn't know what's going on!  He cries on the days he doesn't get to go to school to see his friends....but then he cries on days he doesn't get to stay home with mommy.  I've heard "Mommy, I'm not going to school anymore.  You stay home and play wif me" more times than I can count.  Pulls on the heart strings for sure!  Sorry buddy, being a SAHM just isn't in the cards right now!  Plus this experience is further proof I don't think I'd survive this stay at home gig full time.  A few extra days a week?  Heck yes!  Maybe some day.  But full time?  No way!  We both enjoy our time at work and school too much!
But for now?  I'll enjoy it while it lasts!
So say a few extra prayers, cross some fingers, make a wish....whatever strikes your fancy....anything that gets me off this unemployment train ASAP!   


Photobucket

4 comments:

Meg G said...

I definitely, absolutely believe in calling a prospective job to follow up after an interview. Do not wait for them to call you. I have the job I do today because I (borderline harassed)my manager for 6 weeks until a position was open - and he hired me. When I went for the initial interview, he had told me that if I didn't get that particular position, to check back with him because there could possibly be an opening in the future. I emailed or called him every week until he finally hired me. And he told me the reason he hired me was because of my persistence and that it really showed how much I wanted the job.
Keep at it - the right job is out there for you!

Shannon said...

Aww I hope you get something more permanent soon, the job search is such a bitch. I definitely go back and forth on whether or not I would want to be a SAHM mom (not that it's an option anyway). In some ways you have the best of both worlds right now.

Katie said...

Sending best wishes your way!! Hope you find something soon.

Holly said...

I'm thinking of you! We went through this as a family when Chris was between jobs. It can definitely take its toll if you let it.

Hang in there. I loved the "he's just not that into you" reference! haha