Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dear mom....it's YOUR special day!

Today should have been my mom's 60th Birthday.
I always used to love having our birthdays a day apart.....
Having the bragging rights that I was in fact the best 30th Birthday gift she got....and even more so that MY birthday happened first, even if it was only by one day.
This year it was just a looming gray cloud over my entire day.
Long gone were the many phone calls joking that while today may be my special day, in a mere 24 hours it would be over and it would be HER day.
To say her Birthday was her favorite day would be an understatement.
It was her SPECIAL day!
She always said it was her favorite holiday because it was the only one she didn't have to share with anyone.
In fact she often teased if I had been born just two hours later on HER day, she may or may not have taken me home.  Haha.  Very funny mom.
So in long standing tradition I won't carry my own celebrations into today, because today is her day.
Instead I'm wearing what's left of her 30th Birthday gift.  My dad gave her diamond earrings, however somewhere along the line one got lost and for my high school graduation they turned the one that was left into a necklace for me.

Happy Birthday mom......60 would have looked good on you!
Missing you always.
Love Em

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, Emily. I know this must be so hard on you.

I know your mom was probably looking down from heaven as you celebrated your 30th in style!

Happy birthday to your mom.

Hallie said...

This day must be so hard for you... what a wonderful tribute to your momma. You've given her the best 60th birthday present she ever could have asked for - you are a wonderful momma, just like she was.
Hugs!

Molly B said...

Oh emily- I am tearing up...she is looking down smiling and wishing you a very happy 30th as she celebrates her 60th in heaven!! know that I am thinking of you!

dave and jenn said...

Parent birthdays are the hardest! My dad's birthday would be August 5th, and I am secretly hoping that Jade arrives on his special day so they have that in common. :)

Happy Birthday to your sweet mom. I'm sure she is smiling down on you with pride.

Shannon said...

Happy Birthday to your mama! I'm sure she's up there eating some yummy cake and celebrating her special day.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday dear sweet mama. Thinking about you (and her!)

the workaholic momma said...

Sending hugs your way today!!! What a sweet post - you're momma is celebrating today and I'm sure God has something special for her!!!

Gwen said...

Sending you my thoughts and hugs today. I have a feeling our moms have become fast friends like we have and are celebrating together today. Love you.

The Southern Wife said...

Thinking about you today. What a sweet post.

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I'm a little bit late - but happy happy birthday!! Hope yesterday was amazing!

Katie said...

This was a sweet post - I hope you had a wonderful bday yesterday & have a great day today thinking of your momma.

Brittany said...

Thinking of you today. Your mom would be so proud! Happy birthday to her!

Nikki said...

I was thinking of you and your mom today. It will always be her special day.

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

This makes me so sad to read... but it is still your special day and her special day! Thinking of you.

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

Aww, I am so sorry but how proud of you she would be!