Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Creamy Chicken Parmesan

So not only did I cook something last week that wasn't Hamburger Helper or frozen waffles....I actually tried a new recipe.  Shocked?  I know, me too!  I needed something new to do with chicken, so I headed off to my friends at Kraft.com and perused their top chicken recipes until I found this winner.  It was a recipe for two, but you could easily double it for more.  The husband gave it two thumbs up, it's one of their healthy living choices and it was fairly easy for a week night meal so I think we'll try it again soon!  Enjoy!


Creamy Chicken Parmesan
what you need:
3 Reduced Fat Ritz crackers, finely crushed
2 Tbsp Grated Parmesan cheese
2 small boneless chicken breasts
1 can fat free, reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 c water
1/2 c orzo pasta, uncooked
1 tsp oil
2 oz low fat cream cheese
1 c mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, peas and green beans) thawed

make it
MIX cracker crumbs and 1T Parmesan on small plate.  Rinse chicken; dip in crumb mixture, turning to coat evenly.

BRING 1 cup broth and water to boil in medium saucepan on medium-high heat.  Add orzo; simmer on medium low heat 9 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and orzo is tender.  Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet on medium heat.  Add chicken, cook 5-6 min on each side or until done.  Remove chicken from skillet.

ADD cream cheese and remaining broth to skillet.  Bring to boil on medium heat, stirring constantly.  Simmer 3 min or until thickened.  (I also added garlic, cause, who doesn't like garlic)  Meanwhile, add vegetables to orzo mixture, simmer 2 min.

SPOON orzo mixture onto two plates; top with chicken.  Stir remaining Parmesan into sauce, spoon over chicken.

Bon Appetite!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow that looks good! I'll have to try it.

bananas. said...

did someone say orzo?

LOVE THAT STUFF!!!

looks delish!!!

Jules said...

This looks yummy and I will definitely have to try this one. It sounds easy enough for a weeknight too, which is always a plus.