Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ummm...did we just buy a house?

That's what's running through my head right now.
Buyers remorse.
It happens to me pretty much every time I make a purchase.
Big or Small.
Just ask my husband.
He usually makes bets when I buy something whether or not I will actually keep it!

Well I'm certainly not going to return our house, but it won't keep me from a few sleepless nights worrying whether or not we made the right choice.
The good news is at the some point between now and closing, the worries will melt away and the excitement will come back! (At least I hope so!)

After many many phone calls and emails we finally reached an agreement with the seller. They accepted our asking price right off the bat (woo hoo!!) but there were a few odds and ends we were asking them to fix and they just weren't budging. Finally last night we reached a mutual agreement and are signing the official last offer today! YAY!! We are going to schedule the inspection next week and barring no huge problems....we close April 5th! That's less than a month away...crazy!! On one hand I feel like we've been looking forever, on the the other it all happened so fast!

Thank you all so much for your thoughts, prayers and good luck wishes! I can't say enough how amazed and blessed I am to have found this huge blog support system! You guys rock!
And now without further delay....our home!
The house is about 30 years old in a great established neighborhood. It's right at the top of a small culdasac with no neighbors behind us...woo hoo! Can't wait to see some leaves on all those trees!
It's a split level plan, so from the front door you walk right into the family room and then can either go up a few stairs to the kitchen/dining room/bedrooms or down a few steps to the garage and finished lower level. It has huge vaulted ceilings and we love how open it feels!
I'm in love with the two story fire place! You can't tell in the picture, but there are three bricks that step out to form shelves. I can see the family photos and Christmas stockings already!
The kitchen. The house was recently remodeled hence the S/S appliances, tile floors and back splash and of course the granite countertops. YAY! Can't wait to finally load my new dishes into all those cabinets! And there's a great big pantry with roll out shelves. I'm one happy camper. There would also be room for a smaller table if we want to make it an eat-in kitchen.
The dining room is right up the family rooms stairs next to the kitchen. Luckily we saved our light fixture from the old place, it will look MUCH better than that cheesy one! The double doors lead out to the backyard.
Hall bath...aka the kids bathroom. Alleluia for a double sink and ceramic tile!

Master Bedroom. Not the best picture, but what can you really see in an empty room? There's vaulted ceilings and a walk-in closet....finally something I can work with! (I don't have pics of the other two bedrooms upstairs, but they are there...I promise :)
Master bath vanity. There's a separate room just to the right with the shower and such...figured you all didn't need to see a toilet so I spared you that pic. I like how they're separated by a door though so if the hubs has to do any man business I still have full access to the sink and mirror!
Finished lower level...aka the "man cave." We really wanted a second family room/TV area where the hubs could get away and watch all his silly man shows and do whatever it is men do. This fits the bill quite well! There's also a 4th bedroom and 1/2 bath down there which will be great for guests.
Built in bar area. So glad I have some where to keep my wine fridge and all the bar ware that takes up so much room in the kitchen! This lower level really sold us on the house. Can't wait to have our first party...now if only we knew more people in KC! (There's also a sub basement that's unfinished for storage, utilities and laundry)
So there you have it....our little piece of the American dream!

40 comments:

Murdock's mama said...

Congrats...so exciting! No worries...I get the Buyers Remorse too...you're right...it will pass & you'll go back to being THRILLED! :)

Melissa said...

congratulations! you must be so excited. we're in the process of buying and renovating my husband's grandparents house. not quite the same excitement as house hunting, but i know once those papers are signed it will be nerve-wracking!

Kristen said...

awesome, awesome, AWESOME!!! I love the man cave! My hubs would be so jealous! We just bought our house in October, our man cave isn't finished. He got his poker table & pool table set up but he has concrete walls! Oh well, something is better than nothing! I'm glad you were able to work out the purchase!

Shannon said...

So cute! I love it! Congrats! I really hope after the wedding we can move into a bigger place. This will be perfect to raise your little one in.

Christina said...

congrats!!!!

Chardonnay said...

Love this house! It's perfect!! What a fab place to bring baby eyecansee home to :D

KatiePerk said...

Congratulations! How exciting! Love the fireplace and the finished "Man Cave" area!

mrs.messi said...

The house looks GREAT!!! Congrats!

Gwen said...

Congrats Girl!!! How exciting and I love, love, love the house!!! You must email me and spill on the location!!! Welcome to home ownership!!! XOXO

P.S. Buyers Remorse will disappear when you start seeing your stuff in there.:)

The Undomestic Mom said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! How exciting!

Kelsey712 said...

awesome! congrats on being a home owner :)

Anonymous said...

Praying and keeping fingers crossed for this one. It is soooo perfect for you and the growing little fam. Pix do NOT do it justice at all. With your great eye for color and design, I know it will be a wonderful home :>) Guess dad and I will be spending time up in KC during April.
Love ya.....mom

Jamie said...

Congratulations! It looks beautiful!

Patience said...

Congrats!! The house is beautiful.

Brown Girl said...

OMG whoohoo! Congrats! I do the same thing, I have buyers remorse all the time but it normally passes quickly if it's right!

Jen said...

Congratulations! I know all about buyer's remorse, but you shouldn't have any because this house is beautiful, and it has a lot of great space! I'm so excited to see more pics once you decorate and move your stuff in. I'm sure it's going to look amazing.

Newlywed Next Door said...

WOW! This is awesome! Congrats! I love it!

Taylor-Made Wife said...

Congrats!I always have buyers remorse too. Sometimes so bad it leads to panic attack and nausea. Keeping the fingers crossed for the inspection!

Hilary said...

How exciting! I love it!

Allison said...

Congratulations! That looks like a beautiful home.

Mrs. Pick said...

Congrats! What an amazing home! I've enjoyed following your hmoe buying journey....makes me glad I am through it and want to do it all over again at the same time!

Annie said...

what a perfect home!!
it's adorable!!
i love everything about it! :)
CONGRATS to you and your hubby!!

ae said...

Congrats! Beautiful house!

bananas. said...

Oh my word! Lady!!! Thats a nice house. No need for buyer's remorse...i love it! A house like that in my neighborhood would go for 700,000 or more. No joke!

Kitty Deschanel said...

Oooh, I love your new house! Thanks for the photos!
Have no fear - I had so much buyers remorse after closing on our house that I nearly had a panic attack in the middle of the Smith's grocery store (where we were about 5 minutes after closing). Everything worked out great, of course. It's just so insane when you stop and think "I just spent HOW MUCH money??"

Stephanie said...

Are you kidding? It is fabulous! A huge congratulations:)

Brittany Ann said...

It's adorable! I love it! It seems perfect for you!

Unknown said...

EEEk! Congratulations! SO SO SO excited for you!

Jamie Pickle said...

How exciting!! Congrats! The house looks beautiful and very spacious. My hubby would kill for his own man cave :)

d.a.r. said...

Oh I love love love love love it!!!!

Melissa said...

Great house! Congrats!

Brittany said...

CONGRATS!! It looks like you will have so much room!! :)

Mrs. M said...

So exciting, it looks gorgeous! Love that fire place and that huge basement!

katie + bret said...

Wow! What a very unique space! Congrats, that is so exciting and I can't wait to see how you decorate!

Denise said...

Great house! There is no reason to have remorse. I do it too on everything including my engagement ring hubs had me pick out! If only I could convince him to get me a new one for our wedding anniversary.

Lindsey said...

The house is amazingly beautiful!!! YAYAYA I'm so excited for you! CONGRATS!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Congrats! That's awesome news! The house looks great! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Jules said...

Congratulations and I’m so glad they accepted your offer! It is a really scary feeling accepting the fact that you committed to buying a home, but I promise the feeling will start sinking in and you will be so happy that you did it. This is also a home that you can stay in for a really long time and make it just how you like it.

The house looks really nice and I love that it’s in a cul-de-sac. My aunt and uncles house is set-up the same way and is a home that I have always loved because of how open it feels. The fireplace looks to die for and that is something that is a must have in our next home. The kitchen is in great shape, which is awesome. The “man-cave” looks so fun and I bet that Mr. EyesCanSee will love that.

I am so happy for both of you and congrats again!

Susie said...

Such a pretty house! I'm so happy for you and Adam, everything is falling into place. The American dream, it's a wonderful feeling. Can't wait to see it with all your things in it, then it will really feel like home. Good luck on the inspection.

Emily said...

Love the house it's cute! Can't wait for the day we buy a house, but i'm not ready to stop moving yet.. so I don't mind the wait.
Anyone named Emily is for sure destined to be my friend :) ha although moose isn't my dog. He's my friend Ashley's dog. Mine are Molly and Ellie. Love the bump pictures!