Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Spinach Lasanga Rollups

This time of year I'm always looking for some new meatless recipes.
As a non seafood eater, I can only have cheese pizza so many Friday's during lent before I get bored.
So when I stumbled across this recipe on Budget Bytes via Pinterest, I was excited.
Only problem is, my husband hates lasagna.
I know??  What man hates lasagna??
My husband.
I thought I'd try these anyway, it wasn't really lasagna after all.
I'll win him over on a technicality.
Well, survey says??  Two thumbs up!  He LOVED them.
Go figure.
But I'm not complaining because they were delish!
A bit more work then a typical weeknight meal, but definitely worth it!  Enjoy!
 
Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups
what you need:
1 lb lasagna noodles (I used whole wheat)
15 oz ricotta cheese (I used part skim)
1 cup shredded mozzarella (I used part skim)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 egg
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed
2.5 cups Marinara sauce
salt and pepper to taste
garlic (The original recipe didn't call for any, but hello it's Italian, there's gotta be some garlic!  I will add more next time)
 
what you do:
1. Boil noodles until al dente, about 12-15 minutes.  When they are finished cooking, drain in a colander.
2. While the noodles are cooking, prepare the filling.  Take thawed spinach and squeeze out as much excess water as you can.  Combine the spinach in a bowl with the ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, garlic, freshly grated pepper and about 1/4 tsp salt.  Mix until well combined.
3.  When the noodles and filling are ready to go, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Prepare a glass casserole dish by spraying with non-stick spray.
4.  On a clean surface, lay out a few noodles at a time.  Place a few tablespoons of filling on each noodle and spread to cover from edge to edge.  The filling doesn't need to be thick because once the noodle is rolled up, it will be compounded.
5.  Roll up the noodles and place in casserole dish.  Repeat until all of our filling is gone.  Pour the marinara sauce over the rolled noodles making sure to cover all surfaces.  The sauce will keep the noodles hydrated and soft while baking.
6.  Cover the dish in foil and bake for 30 minutes.
 
I was able to make 15 roll ups making each one 5PP or 2 for 10PP.  {It's important to know if you're following WW, that if you only make 14, one roll if 6 PP and 2 is 11PP.}
Bon Appetite!

Photobucket

1 comment:

dave and jenn said...

Those look awesome. Dave is not a an of lasagna either, so I might have to try these instead!