Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The end of a {cloth diapering} era

This weekend I packed up the majority of Jamie's cloth diapers.
Other than one overnight, we've been officially diaper free for over a month!
And might I had, accident free!!
Yes folks, you heard it here first, my child is officially {daytime} potty trained!!
Our potty training journey was a {loooong} journey indeed.
Much longer than I had anticipated.
I laugh at the "three day" method.
They've obviously never met my stubborn kid.
More like "three month!"
It was right around Halloween that Jamie announced diapers were for babies and he was a big boy.
So we ran out and bought 109348932 pairs of underwear and never looked back.
He caught on to the pee part pretty quickly and I thought it was going to be a breeze!
Well the pee part was.  He pretty much trained himself.
The other part?  Well.  Let's just say it took a bit longer {and a lot of bribing} to figure out.
Months went by and I was convinced he would NEVER do his {ahem} business in the potty.
There were many a days I wanted to throw in the towel.
And believe me, if HE hadn't been the one to initiate it all in the first place, I probably would have.
But just like everything else, one day it just clicked and it's been smooth sailing ever since.
So here we are, finally at the end of the road.
And damn it feels good!
I figured now was as good as any to do one last {very quick} gratuitous cloth dipe wrap up.
I'm proud to say, especially to all those who sat there at my baby shower snickering, commenting that "it would NEVER last" and "just wait till the baby gets here," that with the exception of in the hospital and the few days we were out of town for my moms funeral services my child has been in cloth full time.  I never purchased one single disposable diaper.
In two and a half years.
Not one.
Apparently all those naysayers don't know that when I put my mind to something, I do not give up!
Sure we had our bumps in the road.  A few leaks here or there due to user error.  A few laundry mysteries to solve.  But overall?  I loved every minute of it.  Perhaps even a little obsessed with my sons fluffy butt.  Even a devout disposable user must admit they are way cuter!
Jamie spent the majority of his diapered days in a Bum Genius pocket diaper.
They're one size, so they fit from birth to potty training.
Don't believe me?  Even I was a bit skeptical how that could possibly work.
Well here he is at 1 month old and again at 2 1/2 in the same diaper.
Pretty amazing huh?

If you ever have ANY cloth diapering questions, don't hesitate to ask!
I love helping troubleshoot and have helped convert many a mom to the wonderful world of cloth.
But for now, it's time to close this chapter in our lives.
Hard to believe that for now we'll be diaper free.
And I'm going to enjoy every {laundry free} moment until there's another little fluffy bum at our house!
 
Happy HUMP Day peeps! 
Photobucket

5 comments:

Jo-Anne said...

That's so great! I had a long battle potty training my oldest too. But when she finally got it, I swear the clouds opened up and the sun burst through.
And good for you for sticking with the cloth diapers when you knew that's what you really wanted to do. My best friend swears by them as well and they've worked really great for her too! :)

the workaholic momma said...

YAY!!! Congrats to Jamie (and you guys too!!!) Our experience with Addie was much the same...a several month process-not just a few days and I too was so excited that we made it through using cloth diapers despite all of the people that said we wouldnt make it past week 2 (we did use disposables at night as she got a little older and during nap time). I still wonder where the time has gone...what happened to our babies?!?!

Unknown said...

I do not know how you did this. 2 things actually - I am jealous of a potty trained kiddo and amazed at your commitment to cloth! Good for you!!

Val said...

I may have some questions for you in the fall about cloth diapering - hoping to go that route!

dave and jenn said...

This is so awesome! I feel like our cloth diaper days will be numbered in the next 6 months, and I will miss Jade's fluffy butt too. I'm proud of you for sticking it out - it is the only way to go, in my opinion!