Monday, March 4, 2013

The mom I want to be.

This morning was not one of my finer mom moments.
While trying to get Jamie ready and out the door he took a dive towards the dog bed.
The gross, slobbery, covered in hair, barely like to touch it to move it back to it's corner.....dog bed.
I went from 0-60 before his body even hit the pillow.
"AHHHHH! GET UP NOW!"
Had he hurt anything?  No.  Not really.  I was just pissed because now his clothes would be covered in dog hair.
So.  Freakin.  What.
He's 2.
Believe me.
His clothes are often covered in things way worse than dog hair.
But in that moment?
It ruined my world.
I let some silly dog hair sour my morning.
And I immediately didn't like it.
In fact.  Lately I don't like the mom I've become.
I'm quick to yell with the patience of, well, a two year old.
And it ain't pretty.
But I'm a work in progress.
So instead of beating myself up over the kind of mom I DON'T want to be.  I decided to come up with a list of mom things I DO want to be.
Because that sweet little cookie dough covered face deserves nothing less.

I want to be the kind of mom.....

Who always has cookies in the cookie jar.
Who doesn't care how big the mess was, as long as a good time was had.
Who can admit when they were wrong.
Who spends more quality time with her kids and less QT with her cell phone.
Who laughs more and yells less.
Who doesn't care if it takes more time to get something ready, than the actual activity itself.  Even if it only lasts 10 minutes.  It will be 10 minutes well spent.
Who lets my child color outside the lines.  Think outside the box.
Who doesn't mind if the train set isn't perfect.  Or the car tracks don't match.  That's not chaos.  It's creativity at it's best!
Who knows when to take a deep breath and walk away instead of screaming.  Sometimes moms need time outs too.
Who knows when to be a friend.  And when to be a parent.
Who lets their child try to things on their own, even if it takes 20 extra minutes to get something done.  How else will they ever learn.
Who lets their child fail.  Sometimes learning from your mistakes is the best way to learn.
Who doesn't care if they look "perfect" every time we leave the house.  You want to wear a cape 24/7?  Right on.
Who only picks battles that are worth fighting.
Who reads more and watches tv less.
Who let's their child jump on the dogs bed once in awhile. Because it's fun. And dog hair brushes off.
Who survives the terrible twos and comes out a better mom on the other side.


What kind of mom do you want to be?
Happy Monday peeps!
Photobucket

6 comments:

Jo-Anne said...

Great post! I think I'm going to print out that list and post it on my fridge. I wanna be that mom too! =)

Fly The Friendly Skies said...

Em- This is something I think everyone has been through many many times. I love this list!!! It's so good to take a step back and look around at life every once in a while to redirect where we are heading. :)

I'm going to remember this post when Logan hits his 2's. Right now I have lots of patience with a baby that stays put and out of trouble but that could change.

Anyways, you are a great mom!!!

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

I love it. Totally challenged me. I am often the "Don't mess up your hair AHHH we are about to leave!" type. And Declan is always like, "BABE-SHE'S A KID". I hate that.

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted said...

I really love this. I agree with everything on your "Do" list. I do try to be many of those things, but I also let silly little things completely ruin my day sometimes. And there are days when I would wish for nothing more than a mommy time out. I'll take one everyday please and thank you!

Nikki said...

This is so true. It's hard not to beat ourselves up but I happen to know you're an awesome mom.

Nikki said...

There are so many things on this list that I can totally relate! I like to think of myself as the cool, relaxed mom, but find way too many time I'm getting upset and uptight about too many things. I have to remind myself that clothes wash, messes can be cleaned up, and things aren't as important as memories! Great list!